The Lego classic policeman movie that debuted in the United States and the European Union in 2008 was a massive hit, and in 2010, Lego Classics debuted in Australia.
It wasn’t long after that that the Australian government began to investigate allegations of sexual harassment and bullying against the film’s stars, and the Australian Classification Board was asked to investigate.
The board concluded in 2012 that the film was suitable for distribution, but in October 2013, the board ruled that the movie was not a suitable educational program for young people.
“The classification board has concluded that LEGO Classic Police Squad was not suitable for use in Australian schools,” the board said in a statement.
“The board therefore has no further comment.”
In November of that year, the Australian Film Institute (AFI) announced that the director, Tom Hanks, had been offered a three-year contract to produce the film for $150,000 a year.
Hanks, who had previously worked on the film Trainwreck and The Good Dinosaur, was also approached by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) about the potential for the film to be made into a feature-length feature.
After rejecting the offers, the AFI said it was investigating whether the film breached their code of conduct and “a full and frank discussion between all parties was held” to ensure that “the interests of the film would be protected.”
The AFI’s announcement was made public just days after it emerged that an alleged sexual harassment complaint had been lodged against Hanks in July 2016, but the case was closed in August.
Following the AFIC’s announcement, a spokesperson for Hanks said he was “very grateful” for the AFIS’s support and thanked the AFIB for “doing what they can to help us.”
“Tom Hanks has always been and will remain an advocate for women in the arts, particularly in the film industry, and he has been and continues to be an advocate to all who have experienced harassment or abuse,” the spokesperson said.
On Friday, the spokesperson also confirmed that an investigation into the alleged harassment of Hanks had been opened and that “no further action will be taken.”
Despite the allegations against Hicks, Hanks’ directorial debut, The Good Place, opened to a total of $3.8 billion in domestic box office on its opening weekend.
While Hanks may have initially been hesitant to discuss the allegations, he later came forward and apologized.
“[I] want to apologize to everyone that was offended by my response,” he said at the time.
“I am deeply sorry and I am deeply ashamed.”
Hank is also one of the directors behind a string of films starring Ryan Gosling, who has a history of coming forward about sexual harassment in Hollywood.
In 2014, Gosling’s character in the forthcoming film The Postmortem, is accused of sexually harassing a young actor named John, who is also Gosling.
According to the New York Post, Goslings and his production company are looking to “move forward with this matter,” but they’ve also been criticized for not acting on claims of harassment by their alleged victim.
Despite allegations of misconduct, the film has been praised for its portrayal of a young male lead character dealing with his own trauma after being sexually harassed by a fellow student.